The Science Research Projects Competition (SRPC) recognizes remarkable young talent in the country while fostering individual growth for school students in Grades 9-12 who are willing to challenge themselves through science research. Through this competition, students have an opportunity to achieve national recognition for their science research projects that they complete in school. The SRPC is administered and funded by the National Science Foundation of Sri Lanka (NSF) as we believe that students are the foundation of our nation’s future. Since 2007, the SRPC has provided a national platform for the country’s best and brightest young scientists to present their original research to nationally recognized professional scientists.
Objective: to enhance the innovative thinking, creativity and the investigative ability amongst the school children in the country.
About the Competition: Students are expected to conduct a 4-6 months long research study/project in any field of Science (physical, life, social) following the scientific methodology. Students can conduct either individual or group projects (maximum of 3 members per group) under the supervision of a teacher in-charge based on the International Rules for Pre-college Science Research (https://student.societyforscience.org/international-rules-pre-college-science-research). The NSF will provide necessary guidance to the students and teachers through a series of workshops with the participation of nationally recognized scientists, academics, researchers, etc., in order to successfully conduct and complete their research studies. In addition, the NSF will direct student researchers to the mentors (University Lecturers, Scientists, etc.) and laboratory facilities upon the requests made by the students.
Benefits to the participants: The winners of the SRPC (the best 10 projects from the SRPC finals) will have the opportunity to present their research projects at the Sri Lanka Science & Engineering Fair (SLSEF), which is the only Intel ISEF-affiliated fair in Sri Lanka. The national winners of the SLSEF (the best 3 projects) will get the golden opportunity to represent Sri Lanka at the Intel International Science & Engineering Fair (Intel ISEF) which is the world’s largest pre-school science competition held annually in the USA.
The cash prizes, medals and certificates will be awarded to the participants in following basis.
- Each student of the best 10 projects of the SRPC – Cash Prize, medal & a certificate
- Teachers in-charge of the best 10 projects – Cash prize & a certificate of appreciation
- Students & teachers in-charge of the projects presented at the finals – a certificate of participation
The winners of the SLSEF & SRPC will be felicitated at the World Science Day Schools Programme organized at the BMICH.
- Guidelines of the competition Sinhala (pdf, 54kb) English (pdf, 96kb)
- Application forms: Sinhala (pdf, 43kb), English (pdf, 75kb)
- Format of a project proposal (pdf, 75kb)
- Guideline for the project report Sinhala (pdf,39kb) English (pdf,79kb)
- Intel Education in Sri Lanka http://rta.schoolnet.lk/SLSEF.htm
- Intel International Science & Engineering Fair http://www.intel.com/about/corporateresponsibility/education/isef/index.htm